October 12, 2008

Mariko's Car 2

This is the final product!! I ended up painting for a total of about 8 hours over 2 days. I picked the worst weekend to do this, as it rained nonstop the entire time. I had originally envisioned spending the day outside in the sunshine, but ended up painting in our garage. It was a little cramped, and did not have great lighting, but still a lot of fun to do.
The images and shapes are based off of some sketches that I did a few months ago, drawing the lines and cracks in cement and stone walkways. The stones originally seemed very flat and smooth, but after looking a little closer, you can find all sorts of beautiful patterns and intricacies. I also added a more graphic pattern in mustard yellow to balance the very organic shapes in the front. You cannot see it in these pictures, but the pattern extends up onto the top of the car.
I used "1 Shot" oil enamel paint, originally made for signs. I did a lot of research and finally decided on this paint, as it is meant to be applied to metal surfaces and to withstand the outdoors. It will not rust, and, equally important, the colors can be mixed together and applied with a brush (not an air brush, which I did not want). I also used a small paint roller, sponges, towels and fingers to apply paint.





No comments: