December 8, 2008

December Salon Pieces IV

Untitled, acrylic, oil, watercolor, pencil, ink and paper, 2007-08

This collage is about 5 or 6 inches each way. Part of it was cut out of a painting that I had done last year, titled Green and Warm Yellow (or something like that) which was displayed last year at the Philadelphia Sketch Club. I was never that fond of the original painting and decided it needed a change. There was no use keeping a painting around that I didn't really like anyways.

This piece had a few physical limitations that restrained me to working in a particular way, which actually turned out to be a lot of fun. Because I was working on it the night before the show was going up, I did not have time to let oil paints dry. And because the original painting was done in oil, I could not paint directly on top of it, even with acrylics (oil will go on top of acrylic, but not the other way around). So any time I wanted to change something, I had to paint a separate piece of paper and glue it on. Several times I ended up cutting large chunks of the piece itself to rearrange, and glue onto a new piece of paper. In certain areas there are probably 5 or 6 layers of paper and board stacked in all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Blake:

You show a nice consistency of effect, from the "Salon Pieces" to "Quilt Patch" to the "Number Series," to give it a name. It's good to see such organic consistency in your development. It's much more rewarding when the works are this high in quality.


Poetry Chinoiserie